Southern Walnut Cake
A southern favorite, the black walnut is an American variant on English walnut cake….bolder, and spicier
- 8½" x 4½" x 2⅝" loaf pan
- Mixing bowl
- Mixer or whisk
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup black walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup black walnuts finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 10 oz icing sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites stiffly beaten
- Cream 1/2 cup of the butter with the powdered sugar and cold water
- Add egg yolks, cinnamon, flour, and baking powder; beat until combined.
- Stir in the coarsely chopped walnuts
- Gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites
- Put the resultant batter in a well greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean
- While the cake is baking beat or whisk the remaining butter in a large bowl until soft.
- Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and vanilla extract and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the remaining milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture.
- After the cake is out let it cool for 20 minutes in the refrigerator or counter cool for 35 minutes before glazing with the icing
- Sprinkle with the finely chopped remaining walnuts
- Serve in place of coffee cake. Great hot or cold